For good understanding between a patient and healthcare personnel, the Medical Council, Nurse Council, Pharmacist Council, Dentist Council, and Medical Licensing Committee of Thailand have announced the patient rights as below:
- Every patient has the rights under the constitution law to receive basic medical care.
- Every patient will receive health services from healthcare personnel, regardless of race, nationality, religion, social status, sex, age, political belief, and her/his disease or sickness.
- Except in emergency, every patient has the rights to know sufficient information regarding her/his sickness from the healthcare personnel in order to decide to allow any treatment from the healthcare personnel.
- In life threatening situation, every patient has the rights to receive needed treatments from healthcare personnel regardless the patient’s request.
- Every patient has the rights to know the name, surname, and profession of the healthcare personnel in charge.
- Every patient has the rights to get second or more opinion from other healthcare personnel, and she/he has the rights to change her/his healthcare provider.
- Unless the patient’s permission or approved legal authorization, healthcare personnel cannot disclose the patient’s information.
- In order to be in a medical trial/experiment or not, every patient has the rights to know thorough information.
- Per her/his request, every patient has the rights to know the information in her/his medical records. However, she/he cannot infringe the rights of others.
- In the case of a child under 18 years old or a patient with limited mentality, her/his father, mother, or legal guardian can exercise her/his patient rights.